Sunday, January 5, 2014

What I learned in 2013




I learned that it’s possible to flush the back of my dress down the toilet—and still go out and have a great time.  I learned that I can live for 5 months with just one pair of jeans, three shirts, two sweaters, one swimsuit, and one pair of shoes.  I learned that snow monkeys have no problem taking on someone 10 times their size.  Twice.  I learned that elephants like to cuddle.  That bugs really don’t taste that much differently than any other cooked animal.  I learned that perfect isn’t better, that messy is okay, and disasters can sometimes be fantastic.  A seven year-old taught me that I should try everything at least once and that when I offer something to someone, it’s better to say, “Please have some.”  I learned that lipstick can dress up a pair of dirty jeans like nobody’s business.  I learned that Bangkok hospitals are a great place to be sick.  I learned that if you want to get to know a culture quickly—shop at a local market.  I found that some toothless smiles are more beautiful than any found in Hollywood.  Along with a smile, I learned that doing charades is the best way to communicate when you don’t know the language.  I also learned that it’s okay if people are doubled over laughing at your miming of a ‘fast-train’ as long as you make it to the station on time.  I learned that a hole in the ground, in lieu of a toilet, isn’t the worst thing in the world when things go south.  I learned that fancy Japanese toilets, although fun, can be very confusing.  I found out that sometimes you need to look up to find out where you are.  I learned that smart-phones aren’t that smart and good old-fashioned maps can double for toilet paper.  I learned that it’s best to think of harrowing taxi/bus/tuc-tuc rides as just another feature in the amusement park of life.  I learned that turbulence isn’t going to make the plan crash and that pilots generally know what they’re doing.  I learned that a shot of whiskey is sometimes the best medicine.  And so is a hug.  I learned that shaving is a luxury and nothing beats a good teeth-brushing when you’ve been up for two days straight.  I learned that everyone should spend at least one night without somewhere to sleep.  I found out that water buffalo make the best yogurt and that they’re not too keen on being photographed.  But mostly, mostly what I learned through the toothless smiles, the cuddly elephants, and the 18-hour train rides is that you can see everything you want to, but if you don’t change because of what you see, you’re not really learning a damn thing.

What I hope to learn in 2014?  That I won the lottery and get to do this all over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment